Beauty Basics: How to Establish Your “Go-To” Beauty Routine – Including Picking A Signature Scent
Why is establishing a “go-to” beauty routine such a great idea? Well, for one thing, it can save you a lot of time, because once you have your routine down, you’ll be able to whip through it and be out the door in no time flat. Establishing a routine and a signature scent takes the guesswork out of getting ready for work or a special occasion, too. When you use your tried and true products, you can be sure you’re going to look, feel, and smell your best because you already know those products work for you. Not only that, but you’ll also feel more confident, too. Here are our top tips for establishing a “go-to” beauty routine and picking a signature scent.
1. The Most Important Step in Any Beauty Routine is Skincare
Using the right skin care can have a significant impact on how your makeup looks, and K-Beauty experts always recommend that you start your beauty routine by establishing a good skincare regimen. Korean women are known for their flawless, glowing skin, and they owe it all to their extensive and meticulous skincare routines.
To establish a routine that will work for your skin, start by determining what skin type you have and what issues you want to work on. If you’re just getting into skincare, it’s best to start with just a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer that are recommended for your skin type. Once you’re comfortable with those steps, begin incorporating treatments like anti-aging serums or pore-refining sheet masks.
2. Always Use Sunscreen
Sunscreen is an essential step in your everyday beauty routine because it can have a significant effect on how your skin looks now and for years to come. Not only does sunscreen prevent premature aging and hyperpigmentation, but it can also prevent skin cancer. Today’s sunscreens have come a long way from the greasy, sunscreens of the past that left a white cast on your skin. These days you can find sunscreens that work almost like a makeup primer. Whether you need to mattify or hydrate, there’s a sunscreen formula out there made just for you.
3. Skip the Foundation
Time is always a top consideration when it comes to establishing an everyday beauty routine. Consider skipping the foundation entirely and go for a BB or CC cream that gives breathable coverage, but can be applied quickly and easily, almost like a moisturizer. BB and CC creams are great for multi-tasking because they usually contain moisturizing ingredients and sunscreen while evening out the skin and providing a smooth canvas for your makeup, all in one step.
4. Eyebrows are the Key to Looking Polished
Eyebrows frame the face, so keeping them neat and tidy is the key to looking polished every day. Make time to get your brows done regularly or learn how to do them yourself. Be sure to brush them into place and fill them in each day when you do your makeup. It will make a huge difference in how awake you look, and it will even give your face a lift. If you haven’t had time to get your brows done for a while, try dabbing a bit of light concealer underneath the arch and blending it out to give your arch more definition. It works like magic for looking more awake on a rough Monday morning!
5. Match Your Brow Product to the Roots of Your Hair
Thanks to the popularity of balayage and other hair color treatments, it can be difficult to figure out what color your brow product should be. Should match your lowlights, your highlights, or your current overall color? It’s actually pretty easy to figure out! Your brow product should be the same color as the roots of your hair, whether they’re natural or dyed. It’s a foolproof way to make sure your eyebrows look natural every day.
6. Choose Cream Products Over Powders
Creams are much more flattering on the face than powders, which can age the skin and make it look dried out. Cream blush gives the skin a natural, dewy glow that makes the skin look youthful and natural. Cream products are great for everyday use because they can be touched up easier throughout the day without building up on the skin or making you look like a clown. They’re more forgiving, too… you can blot off a little extra cream blush, but when you overdo your powder blush, it’s on there until it either wears off or you wash it off.
7. Your Go-To Look Should Easily Transition from Day to Night
Every woman should have a tried and true, go-to makeup look for every day. Practice the look until you can apply it and be out the door in five or ten minutes. That way, you can head to school or work each day looking polished without spending an hour on your makeup. Your go-to look should also transition easily from day to night because you never know when you’re going to be invited out for dinner or drinks after work.
Simply keep a couple of products in your makeup bag that can easily be layered over your day makeup to add a little glam and you’ll be ready to face whatever life throws at you. Some great ways to glam up your look without a lot of fuss are to add some highlighter, a bolder lip, and darken up your lash line with shadow or eyeliner. Don’t forget to touch up those brows!
8. How to Pick a Signature Scent
You don’t just want to look fabulous every day, you want to smell fabulous, too! Having a signature scent is a great way to make a statement and leave a lasting impression. But how do you find the perfect perfume? Start by smelling a wide variety of scents and make a note of the ones that you really love. Sometimes, your hobbies and interests can point you in a particular direction… For example, if you love to cook, you might be most attracted to spicy fragrances.
Here’s an overview of our favorite perfumes to help you get started on your search:
- Daisy by Marc Jacobs: If you love floral scents that remind you of springtime, you’ll want to try Daisy by Marc Jacobs. This youthful fragrance will appeal to women in their 20s and 30s. This beautiful scent includes notes of jasmine, gardenia, and white woods.
- Versace’s Bright Crystal: This one is a lighter, softer floral. It’s a fresh scent that will appeal to most women and it’s a perfect signature scent for every day. It carries notes of peony, lotus, and magnolia.
- Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana: Light Blue is a classic summer fragrance for women of all ages. This intoxicating scent includes white rose, bamboo, citrus, and apple.
- La Vie Est Belle by Lancome: La Vie Est Belle is an elegant, sweet fragrance that will appeal to those who are looking for a sophisticated scent. It has notes of patchouli, vanilla, and iris. It’s the perfect signature scent for special occasions.
- Good Girl by Carolina Herrera: If you want to capture your man’s attention, this sensual, feminine fragrance is just what you’re looking for. This is a soft oriental/ jasmine scent that offers a playful, sexy vibe.
- J’dore by Christian Dior: This floral scent evokes beauty, glamour, and class. It’s one of the most popular scents from Dior, and it’s easy to see why. J’dore offers a combination of orchids, roses, and white musk for the perfect evening signature scent.
- Prada Candy by Prada: You probably already guessed that Prada Candy is a sweet fragrance. This is the perfect casual signature scent for a woman who’s into the latest designer trends.
Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, try to get a sample or try out the tester in the store. Remember that fragrances are affected by your body chemistry and the temperature, so you’ll want to take the new fragrance for a test run or two before you commit to purchasing a full-sized bottle. Once you find a scent you love, pay attention to how others react to it, too. If you receive lots of compliments, you’ve probably found your signature scent!
Establishing a go-to beauty routine will not only ensure that you look your best every day, no matter how rushed you are, but it will also boost your confidence. Once you find the perfect skincare, makeup, and scent, you can be out the door in no time, even though it’ll look like you got up early just to do your makeup!
By Donna Maurer
About the Author: Donna Maurer is a Content Creator, professional blogger, and beauty enthusiast. She has a passion for skincare and makeup.